You are in:


23rd January 2013 | News

Licensing companies have been writing to schools requesting an annual licence
fee. If a school is showing DVDs / Videos / Internet downloads / compilations of
same for entertainment there is a requirement to have a public performance
licence from the copyright owner.

However works used in an educational
establishment (before a limited audience of teachers, pupils or other
individuals directly connected with the activities of the establishment), for
the purposes of instruction, are exempt under section 55 of the Copyright and
Related Rights Act 2000.

If playing or showing a sound recording, film,
broadcast or cable programme, schools should ask themselves whether a license is
necessary in this context, or whether they are exempt on the grounds that they
are doing so for the purpose of instruction.

Go back to News

Members Menu