Circular 0034/2018 Recruitment of Special Needs Assistants (SNAs) – Supplementary Assignment Arrangements for the 2018/19 school year
15th June 2018 | News
The Department of Education and Skills has published Circular 0034/2018 Recruitment of Special Needs Assistants (SNAs) – Supplementary Assignment Arrangements for the 2018/19 school year.
This circular supersedes Circular 0042/2017, and whilst there are no substantive changes from existing arrangements, Boards of Management should note the following:
- SNAs can only be appointed to a post which is to be filled within the allocation of posts approved by the National Council for Special Education (NCSE).
- The NCSE allocation of SNA posts for the 2018/2019 school year was published on 17/05/2018 and can be accessed at the following link: SNA Allocation for Primary Schools ‘18/’19 (N.B. PREVIEW ONLY UNTIL NOON ON 18/05/2018)
- A Standard SNA is a post which is part of this NCSE quantum of SNA support to a school. All Standard positions must be filled in accordance with Sections 16 to 29 (“SNAs Vacancies – Process to be followed by Employers”) of Circular 0034/2018.
- A Substitute or Cover SNA Post is where a substitute or cover SNA is appointed on a temporary basis to cover a vacancy when a Standard SNA is on an approved leave of absence such as Maternity Leave, Sick Leave, Career Break, Job-sharing etc.
- These posts are not subject to the SNA Panel, and should be filled in accordance with Appendix H, Governance Manual for Primary Schools 2015 – 2019. Note that SNAs with panel rights may apply for such posts, but are not afforded priority for shortlisting. This is an open competition.
- When advertising for a Standard SNA position, Boards of Management must list any specific competencies and/or requirements that are necessary to meet the special educational needs of the pupil(s). When PF1 holders are invited to interview (in the first instance – see Section 22) the Selection Board will determine whether or not the candidate meets the specific requirements that were set out in the advertisement.
- When advertising a SNA position, Boards are advised not to set a minimum or required qualification standards that are higher than those set out in Section 21 of Circular 0034/2018.
- Qualifications can be included as assessment criteria, when interviewing a number of PF1 holders (in the first instance) or when conducting a second round of interviews (when required, and on a separate day – see Section 24).
- Schools must complete a separate Process Verification Document (pages 15 & 16) in respect of the filling of all Standard vacancies, including the filling of additional hours (i.e. where an existing part-time SNA receives additional hours).
- This PVD form must be returned to the Supplementary Assignment Manager within six weeks of the vacancy being filled.
- Where there is a reduction in the quantum of SNA support to the school, resulting in the redundancy of a SNA, Boards should process the redundancy in accordance with Sections 1 to 10 of Circular 0034/2018 and Circular 0058/2006
If you have any queries in relation to SNA recruitment or redundancy, please do not hesitate to contact the CPSMA office on 1850 407 200. Our Online Training Module, Procedures Governing the Appointment of Staff in Schools, can be accessed at the following link, and offers step by step advice for the recruitment of Special Needs Assistants – as well as step by step advice for the recruitment of Principals, Teachers and other Staff.
It can be accessed at the following link: www.cpsma.ie